Monday, March 14, 2011

Finally!

I had every intention of doing a post before I left Michigan, but the last week filled so full that I didn’t have time until tonight. And I'm in Philadelphia now, having just finished my first day of Peace Corps training.

I sold my car on Friday to a very patient friend who’d agreed to buy it last fall when I thought I was going to Lesotho. On Saturday, my older son Robin picked me up and brought me and my luggage to Grand Rapids, where I spent the last two wonderful days with him and his family. It was a weekend of many farewells – to my car, the cottage, my dog Jack, but most importantly, of course, to family and friends.

Then this morning, I boarded a plane and made my way to Philadelphia, where I met with the other approximately 60 members of the Morocco group and officially made the transition from “invitee” to “trainee.” Tomorrow, we board a plane for Morocco.

It has finally begun. Next post from Morocco!

5 comments:

  1. “Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.” — T.S Eliot

    Have a wonderful adventure Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim,
    I will be following your adventure with great interest. I hope to comment often and will try to keep them pithy. Good luck.

    Terry Whittaker

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations. Welcome to the fold brother! I trust you had a spectacular "last meal" in Philly? Mine was Steak Oscar with good friends and great wine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jim. I'm Alex and I am from Michigan too. I am a youth development volunteer here in Morocco and have been here for 18 months. I'm from Jackson, MI, what about you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jim! I'm glad you are off on your adventure. I thought I posted this yesterday, but apparently I sent you an email instead [I'm just learning to navigate your blog page]. I haven't heard from you in a while and was surprised to learn of your change in destination--opposite corner of the continent!? I look forward to following your progress and keeping in touch.

    ReplyDelete